Monday, August 18, 2008

Deer Whisper-er-er-er

We frequently see deer in our neighborhood thanks to the close proximity of San Felasco. My dad has gotten into the habit of leaving salt licks and corn out behind the house, which attracts several deer a night. Last night, I headed over to check on my parents' house, and 9 deer were out in the back yard.

Waiting.

They weren't scared or anything. The deer all sat there and watch me walk out to them. As I threw out the feed, they started to creep forward, closer and closer to the corn. I took a few steps back and watched for a good 20 minutes or so. I started to notice that other deer were joining the group and at one point, I counted 16 of them there.

He has a routine, my dad. Every night about 6pm he heads out to the back yard, bucket of feed in hand. He shakes the feed around and thumps on the bottom of the bucket in between steps. They hear him and start gathering, jumping across the creek from neighbors' yards, just to get to sweet tasty corn.

Some evenings, when my parents are off living their busy lives, I go over to let the dogs out, they will be sitting there, waiting expectantly for me to walk over and throw feed at their feet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home